- Gigi Edgeley’s small role in The Starter Wife. She doesn’t get nearly enough work, in my opinion.
- Tom Selleck in another Jesse Stone movie. And two previous ones are coming out in DVD – Death In Paradise and Night Passages. (It’s nice to see Stephen McHattie with a small role in these lovely movies. We don’t see nearly enough of him on this side of the 48th parallel.) Best of all, the movie landed in the top ten for that week, which was the third week of the May sweeps month. There’s a fifth one in the works, and it’ll be something to look forward to.
- And speaking of Tom Selleck, seeing season 7 and 8 of Magnum P.I. for the first time. Airing on WGN every weekday at 9:00 AM Central.
- The Riches on F/X, which is rich with interesting characters and moral ambiguity. Unlike other dramas on that network, it’s not mean and snide.
Whenever some misguided individual starts sneering about how bad television is, I just roll my eyes. It goes without saying that there’s a lot of bad stuff on television, but there’s some good stuff, too. It’s just intellectual laziness to keep parroting such a truism, and not to explore whether or not there’s any truth to it.
- The new Lee Childs novel: Bad Luck and Trouble It is always fun to read these. I wonder why Hollywood hasn’t optioned these books. Oh, the probably have, but it’s likely sitting in development hell.
- Children of Men on DVD. Finally, a genuine scifi movie, with real ideas, and a thought-provoking story.